VisualTrader Forum VisualTrader Forum
forums calendars search
today this week

register logon control panel Forum Rules
You are currently browsing as a guest.
You should logon to access more features
A Self-Moderated Community - ALL MEMBERS, PLEASE READ!
Vote for Members who contribute the most to your trading, and help us moderate content within the Forums.

Current location        Thread information  
VisualTrader Forums
Users Share Their Success Stories!
Using News To Form A Superior Watchlist
Last Activity 10/21/2016 5:19 PM
455 replies, 52394 viewings

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]

back reply
Printer friendly version

^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Subject : RE: Using News To Form A Superior Watchlist
Posted : 11/30/2010 4:07 PM
Post #5590 - In reply to #5588

Jeff,

I use mainly price action in the form of candles and volume to trade the first hour (or so) after market open. This is likely something new to you, especially with your earlier reference today to signals.

So suggested again is to only trade the openning setups that fit the criteria you viewed in the Shadow Trader Gap video. This will help avoid information overload.

Also as shown in that video, use the 5 minute timeframe as your lowest one. And also use the 15 minute timeframe after the market has been open at least 15 minutes. This will help alleviate your concern about the quick reversals – they will be smoothed out.

One cardinal rule to use is that whichever timeframe you see the setup to trade, also manage the trade in that timeframe. As you may (or may not) know, for most everyone new to day trading, there is a tendency to drill down to lower timeframes, and then let what is essentially noise in the price action to get them to exit the trade way too early. After your first few thousands of real day trades, do not be surprised if this tendency still exist. Know about it – avoid it, it is a deadly trap that almost amounts to a sin.

It takes everyone time to learn to effectively trade new setups. Trying to do this for the early morning plays, along with also just starting to day trade, is asking allot from yourself. So in addition you are also delving into index futures trading. All of this might be just too much for you, or most any other intelligent person.

You might be better served to focus on either index futures or trading stocks at the open. My bias is to trade the open. But it is likely harder to learn. Also remember that after you are comfortable with whichever you choose, the other one can then be incorporated into your trading routine. Trading is a long term endeavor.

Not known is your timeline (goal) to become profitable at day trading. Pristine said that the average is that it normally takes eighteen month s to stop losing money. And I do not recall how much longer thereafter to actually start making money. Probably like many other forum members, I got to making profits PDQ. But it took a good bit of work. And reviewing my own trades was a big factor in getting to profitability. Plus a lot of hours every day sent trading, reviewing trades, and studying. Your technique for tracking your progress looks good (posted in another thread). Something else that helped me was to actually journal the trades, with charts of the setup when trades were entered, and again when they were exited. This is a lot of work, but your number of trades for some time should be few enough to allow such an approach, if you so desire.

But if you do want to try both (trading stocks at the open in addition to index futures) for a while yet, please do take the above advice to focus just on the stock setups that are like those in the Shadow Trader Video. And define a test period after which you will assess if doing both is working well.

You mentioned in the past that trading the index futures was more like being a sniper in that you were waiting for your preferred setup before pulling the entry trigger. Well the suggested initial method to use in trading the open is much the same. You may find that you make enough money using it that further setups are not desired. Then again, you might choose to add another. But at least you will likely already be making a decent income/profit from your trading.

There will be no offense taken if you decide to only trade index futures until fully proficient with them.

I also hope there is no offense taken with me again suggesting limiting the setups you trade at the open, and the other associated rambling above.

Attached is one trade that setup in the recommended way today. The same stock is shown in three timeframes – 2, 5, and 15 minutes, to help show how different the price action may appear. A couple of other attachment of possible interest are attached.

Finally, I have no problem providing, on an as time is available basis, the pre market info that includes gap stocks for you, or other forum members. But I do not want to follow up every day posting the results. My trading time is better spent studying, or actually trading. It is suggested that if you, or others, still desire pre market info, we establish a separate thread for it. If no one wants it, that is also fine. Either way, it will not be available tomorrow because I am not trading the open. Whatsoever, just let me know if it is desired.

Best of luck in this continuing endeavor.

Regards,

Jim B.

Attached file : 101129 StocksOnTheMove.xls (33KB - 289 downloads)
Attached file : 101130 RIMM 1d 2m chart.pdf (34KB - 276 downloads)
Attached file : 101130 RIMM 1d 5m chart.pdf (29KB - 275 downloads)
Attached file : 101130 RIMM 1d 15m chart.pdf (31KB - 319 downloads)
Attached file : 101130 chat extract.doc (25KB - 280 downloads)

^ Top
jmishlove

Veteran

User Profile

Posted : 12/1/2010 11:17 AM
Post #5597 - In reply to #5590

Jim,

All of your many pointers have been very helpful. And, I certainly do not take offense at anything you have suggested or recommended. After all, your advice has been earned in the forge of years of daytrading experience. And, for all of my background in the markets (including CTA certification), daytrading has been a weak spot.

However, I continue to find myself perplexed in reviewing the charts of the stocks on the Earnings Map. Whereas, at the same time, I find that my TF emini paper-trading is progressing very well. In fact, I think I'm at the point with it where I am ready to start trading with cash (just a single contract at a time for now, however).

So, right now, it seems best for me to focus on continuing to improve my emini proficiency -- as you have suggested. I do plan to pay some attention to individual stocks, but definitely as a very secondary focus.

So, for now, I will stay very much in the background of this thread, and join the several forum members who have been quietly observing.

But, I especially want to acknowledge you for the hundreds of generous and insightful posts that you have contributed to this forum. I have found them to be both educational and inspirational.

Sincerely,
Jeff
^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 12/2/2010 4:57 PM
Post #5600 - In reply to #5597

Jeff,

Many thanks for the nice feedback. And also thank you for giving me additional insight into what information should be provided to traders aspiring to trade the market open. You made me recall that even back in 2006 & 2007 I would focus down to two to four stocks before market open. In the intervening years this has evolved so that having a reduced number is not that important. But it took years for that change. Also you made me realize that I had mainly posted the quick reversals, which I personally love to trade, thus doing a disservice to other traders who might prefer some of the other morning setups. I could go on, and on. But again our interaction has helped me a bunch.

I did some minor testing in conjunction with my morning trades today (with trading taking priority) with the objective of seeing how use of two day charts as the first step in the information filtering process would work out. Results were mixed, but I was trying to use the microcharts, and it appeared that it might be better to just look at VT charts. This first filter was assessed because Ken Calhoun of the Day Trading University uses two day charts a bunch, and recommends that traders new to gap plays only play gaps that are outside the prior day’s trading range for their first two years. A number of his followers have attributed Ken with saving their day trading careers. And this technique is also similar to the suggested plays in the Shadow Trader video that you watched. So Ken might be correct. When I learned of Ken’s recommendation I had already been trading gaps for some years, and made lots of money trading inside the prior day’s trading range. So I never gave it a thorough test. Perhaps other forum members know more about this approach, and can share their experience. Ken also offers a scanning service where he provides a list of gap stocks prior to market open with recommended entries, exits, and etc. (See http://www.daytradinguniversity.com/ and http://www.chartscans.com/ )

Perhaps as good (or better), is that a number of gap play scans were requested as new features in the Nirvana scan tool that is now going through Beta testing. Nirvana has been the most responsive software vendor that is known of, as far as incorporating new features.

So after you are proficient (and very profitable) at trading the index futures, there may be a new infrastructure to make your efforts into successfully trading gap plays much easier. I very much look forward to our future interactions.

Good luck in your chosen path.

Regards,

Jim B.

[Edited by jimb on 12/2/2010 5:02 PM]

Attached file : 101202 0835 earnings stks for week 2d 5m charts.pdf (17KB - 275 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 0835 earnings stks for week 2d 5m charts mark up.pdf (19KB - 270 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 0840 earnings stks for week 1hour im microcharts.pdf (17KB - 248 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 0845 earnings stks for week 1hour im microcharts.pdf (17KB - 267 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 0855 earnings stks for week 1hour im microcharts.pdf (18KB - 280 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 0855 earnings stks for week 2d 5m charts.pdf (17KB - 263 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 0900 earnings stks for week 1hour im microcharts.pdf (18KB - 275 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 0900 earnings stks for week 2d 5m charts mark up.pdf (17KB - 281 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 0910 earnings stks for week 1hour 5m microcharts.pdf (15KB - 296 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 0914 earnings stks for week 2d 5m charts mark up.pdf (17KB - 260 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 00941 earnings stks for week 2d 5m.pdf (18KB - 277 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 0942 earnings stks for week 1hour im microcharts.pdf (21KB - 318 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 earnings stks for week 2d 5m charts mark up.pdf (26KB - 263 downloads)

^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 12/2/2010 9:09 PM
Post #5602 - In reply to #5520

Jeff,

Please also see posts 5484, 5497, & 5520 on page 3 in this thread

This is just a follow up on the top down approach discussed in a couple of earlier posts in this thread. These were longer term trades based on the simple strategy of following the institutional money foot prints in the market. The particular method was based on tracking money flow through use of the Big Chart. Unfortunately, apparently no one was able to locate the Big Chart in the public domain.

But the same approach is valid when using other means for tracking institutional money flow. One other alternative mentioned was that used in the Investors Business Daily (ibd). For example, inputs were solicited from knowledgeable ibd users, but none were received. Having used the ibd method some time ago, I guess it could be recalled. But there are surely other forum members who are more current than me.

Whatsoever, the current results of investing an equal, modest amount of money in the four stocks selected are presented in two of the attachments. Shown is that the $3,992 initial investment made on October 6, 2010 has grown to $5,520.39, which is an overall rate of return of about 38.3%. Some investors might find such a return in a little less than two month satisfactory. Note that no active trade management was conducted.

The third attachment presents thumbnail charts for the stock list from which the four investment stocks were selected. Shown is that making a profit was not terribly sensitive to stock selection, as far as making a profit versus suffering a loss.. As many may know, this is at least sometimes one of the advantages of joining a group move/ride (industry trend) driven by big money.

Some other advantages of this technique include: it may require less skill at reading charts; usually it is not as demanding in trade management time, and; most often it has less risk than many other techniques.

Our trading Group often will trade industry group moves in multiple timeframes, which may save a good bit of research time. But this does require discipline in insuring discrete management actions are taken in each timeframe, as appropriate. Having the different timeframes in different trading accounts helps facilitate the needed discipline pretty well.

It is hoped that this post is of interest to forum members. It is also hoped that other forum members will share if they have a similar technique that uses Nirvana tools.

Regards,

Jim B.

[Edited by jimb on 12/2/2010 10:08 PM]

Attached file : 101202 AMC - $CCOAL Top Down - Stocks Performance Detail View.pdf (21KB - 260 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 AMC - $CCOAL Top Down - Stocks Performance Thumbnail charts.pdf (53KB - 227 downloads)
Attached file : 101202 AMC $CCOAL full stk list thumbnails.pdf (268KB - 249 downloads)

^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 12/4/2010 3:42 PM
Post #5615 - In reply to #5597

Jeff,

For your continuing venture into day trading stocks, the earnings map for next week is attached.

As said in private correspondence, I just do not want to distract you from your more important effort with trading index futures. But like you said, there will likely be enough time for review of some additional stock info.

Best of luck in your trading endeavors.

Regards,

Jim B.

[Edited by jimb on 12/6/2010 8:24 AM]

Attached file : 101206 Earnings Map For Week.vtp (328KB - 230 downloads)

^ Top
Tony Birchfield

Veteran

User Profile

Posted : 12/9/2010 1:34 PM
Post #5618 - In reply to #5227

Folks,

just wanted to chime in a hello. Nice to see the good spirit in forum at work where folks are providing assistance as it is requested and needed.

I did do a quick overview of the thread. Surely requires more time to pick up the finer details. So for now just offering my vote of support for solid disscussion.

Many Thanks,
Tony
^ Top
Tony Birchfield

Veteran

User Profile

Posted : 12/9/2010 2:03 PM
Post #5619 - In reply to #5227

HI Jim in Vegas,

ok read through page one. I just love your comment that the best neuro network is the brain ie trading decisions.

Next, would like to share that been a budding trader for a couple of years and gettig better. Half experienced much pain along the way. Jim is a fine teacher and love concept of trading big map at open. But can telly you that it can be very overwhelming and end up in the chase.

Like the focus disscussion on earnings map. Again, can even be overwhelming the amount of action at open.

So just as a thought want to offer idea to consier. If the earnings map has potential big movers in place one could just let them cook for a bit and have other plays ready to go that do not necessarily need to fire right at the open.

But at the open, can use the market.com site to find the earning stocks on the move and flip through some hot pics that are determine per pre market study of gap analysis. Then, you can end up with say maybe 10 hot pics to trade from is the set up quickly you have them ready to go for the hot list. And then of course the VT map can offer asssistanc for those other plays not discussed.\

In any case, my bottom line point is that I am trying to suggest that a tight focus early with a broader brush a bit later can be helpful. At least this has helped me a great deal.

So just couple thoughts to consider. And not meaning to sidetrack any of your great discussion.

Thanks
Tony
^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 12/10/2010 5:32 PM
Post #5620 - In reply to #5597

Jeff,

The earnings map for next week is provided for your use.

Tony,

Thank you for sharing your perspective, and etc. Two other web sites of possible interest that provide pre market gap stock list are http://dynamic.nasdaq.com/dynamic/premarketma.stm
http://money.cnn.com/data/premarket/index.html

And of course, some brokers (such as IB) also provide similar lists.

Regards,

Jim B.

Attached file : 101213 Earnings Map For Week.vtp (324KB - 227 downloads)

^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 12/17/2010 9:54 PM
Post #5650 - In reply to #5597

Jeff,

The earnings map for next week is provided for your use.

Edit - The key Economic Reports for next week are also attached for your use. I personally do not do any analysis on them. I just look to see if the market is reacting to the reports because that is really all I care about. Even the pre market report releases often set the tone for the day. Another FYI is that no analysis of earnings stock's history is performed because again, all that is important to me is if the market reacts to the earnings release news. As you know, many technical analysis traders do likewise.

Regards,

Jim B.

[Edited by jimb on 12/17/2010 10:16 PM]

Attached file : 101220 Earnings Map For Week.vtp (352KB - 239 downloads)
Attached file : 101220 Economic Calendar.pdf (30KB - 259 downloads)

^ Top
jmishlove

Veteran

User Profile

Posted : 12/18/2010 10:12 AM
Post #5653 - In reply to #5650

Jim,

Thanks for your continued updates, commentary and support of this thread on the forum. Although I am remaining in the background, I monitor your messages with interest -- and value your input.

Jeff
^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 12/24/2010 5:58 PM
Post #5687 - In reply to #5653

Jeff

There are only three SUB earnings stks for next week:

101227 AM sub BMO - CAL

101229 AM sub BMO - IPSU

101229 PM sub AMC - XRS

A fourth stock that is also a SUB stk is having an investigation into how it was sold: 101229 PM sub AMC - DDMX. There is not likely to be any ews that makes this stock playable.

There are no scheduled Economic Reports for next week

Regards,

Jim B.

^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 12/27/2010 10:18 PM
Post #5691 - In reply to #5653

Jeff,

Sorry about that, but just learned that economic calendar info for this week, which indicated no economic reports, was incorrect.

There are some economic reports for Tuesday and Thursday.

Since my subscription service provided incorrect info, please see www.forexfactory.com for correct info.

Regards,

Jim B.

[Edited by jimb on 12/27/2010 10:35 PM]

^ Top
jmishlove

Veteran

User Profile

Posted : 12/28/2010 7:10 AM
Post #5692 - In reply to #5691

Jim,

Thanks, again, for your conscientiousness and attention to these details.

I've been using the Bloomberg economic calender -- and have found it to be generally useful:

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/economic-calendar/

Jeff
^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 1/1/2011 3:30 PM
Post #5702 - In reply to #5692

Jeff,

Thank you for a pointer to another excellent source of economic report information.

Attached is the earnings map for next week.

POT was my best intraday play last week. Although it was neither an earnings stock, nor showed interesting pre market activity, it just jumped out as a likely big winner in VT shortly after market open. The attached screen shot is just a general chart (not from VT) - it appears that POT and other fertilizer stocks are worth considering for longer timeframe trades/investments. This is one of the advantages of day trading - it fairly often points to longer timeframe plays. I usually track day trades (and earnings stocks) for at least two weeks after they have had their big day. And of course conversely, big group moves in longer timeframes often provide excellent day trades.

EDIT: Although sometimes cryptic, our trading Group tries to share our individual trades with other members - this by Group agreement is a lower priority than each members focusing on their trades. Here is the Wednesday morning input to Group chat regarding POT (times are CST - market opens at 08:30 AM):

[8:39:29 AM] James E. Barrett: a good number of group plays developing
[8:39:53 AM] T2: CYT
[8:40:47 AM] James E. Barrett: POT part of a group play 147 now
[8:41:43 AM] James E. Barrett: several oil industries with group plays
[8:42:17 AM] James E. Barrett: steel & iron gp plays

Happy New Year!

Regards,

Jim B.

[Edited by jimb on 1/1/2011 4:03 PM]

Attached file : 110103 Earnings Map For Week.vtp (328KB - 237 downloads)
Attached file : 101229 POT 1d chart.pdf (109KB - 280 downloads)

^ Top
jmishlove

Veteran

User Profile

Posted : 1/1/2011 9:01 PM
Post #5703 - In reply to #5702

Jim,

Thanks for the information regarding POT. In the past, it had been one of my favorite investments -- as it conformed almost perfectly to the requirements (posted earlier on this forum) of my mentor Dean Brown -- as a long-term growth stock. I used to hold it extensively, prior to the shakeout in the fall of 2008. Now that the global economy is picking up, I can well imagine that it will go back up over 200.

Jeff
^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 1/2/2011 8:38 PM
Post #5705 - In reply to #5703

Jeff,

One clarification is provided mainly for other forum members. Nirvana Group Trader (using Media General stocks to industries binning) places POT in the Agricultural Chemical industry. The chart posted above comes from a service that bins POT in Non-Metallic Mining, and most related stocks in Chemical Manufacturing industry.

Well so what? I believe based on a fairly good number of years of experience that POT does behave much like stocks in the Chemical Manufacturing industry. So this industry’s chart and its Big Chart ranking are more appropriate than that for Non-Metallic Mining. Hence for those of us that like to have the stock’s industry moving in the same direction as we are trading its stocks, this perhaps minor issue might be an important consideration as to whether to trade/invest in POT.

As shown in the attachments, Chemical Manufacturing is looking good as far as both its price chart, and the Big Chart, for taking long positions.

Also shown in an attachment are related stock thumbnails. I personally like to play three or four stocks when doing industry plays as may (or may not) have been mentioned in an earlier post concerning a Coal industry play.

Regards,

Jim B.

Attached file : 101229 Chemical Manufacturing industry daily 6m chart.pdf (53KB - 291 downloads)
Attached file : 101229m BC by rank.pdf (121KB - 310 downloads)
Attached file : 101229 Chem Manuf 080112 thumbnails.pdf (253KB - 223 downloads)
Attached file : 101229 POT daily 6m chart.pdf (61KB - 345 downloads)

^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 1/3/2011 11:35 AM
Post #5706 - In reply to #5705

Jeff,

Instead of only referencing my recall, attached are two charts which show that POT has more closely followed the related agriculture stocks in Chem Manuf since the middle to late 2008. Prior to that, it more closely followed the Non-Metallic Mining industry.

The correlation coefficients in Nirvana Group Trader should show similar results.

Regards,

Jim B.

[Edited by jimb on 1/3/2011 10:05 PM]

Attached file : 110103 Comparison Chart of Non-Metallic Mining and POT - 5y.pdf (34KB - 245 downloads)
Attached file : 110103 Comparison Chart of Chem Manuf and POT - 5y.pdf (41KB - 218 downloads)

^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 1/9/2011 5:09 PM
Post #5720 - In reply to #5703

Jeff,

The earnings map for next week is attached. With AA kicking off the earnings quarter on Monday AMC, the maps will be getting larger. This week's map has only 19 stocks that passed either the Group or SUB criteria.

Some sample earnings stock performance information is also attached.

Lastly, an update on POT's performance is provided.

Best of luck.

Regards,

Jim B.
Attached file : 110110 Earnings Map For Week.vtp (356KB - 211 downloads)
Attached file : 110106 1d 5m microcharts of all earnings stks for week.pdf (35KB - 229 downloads)
Attached file : 110106 Earnings stks for week 1d % chng.pdf (46KB - 240 downloads)
Attached file : 110106 SUB Earnings stks for week 1d % chng.pdf (55KB - 233 downloads)
Attached file : 110109 POT 6m daily chart.pdf (62KB - 246 downloads)
Attached file : 110109 POT 10d chart.pdf (65KB - 251 downloads)

^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 1/14/2011 8:38 PM
Post #5724 - In reply to #5703

Jeff,

The earnings map for next week is attached - it contains 109 symbols.

As is shown in the sample performance attachments, even with a small list for last week, earnings stocks made significant contributions to day trading profits. Using earnings stocks, gap stocks, and having a base VT map containing stocks with high, tradable volatility resulted in a most excellent week for profits.

Hope your futures index trading is progressing well.

Regards,

Jim B.
Attached file : 110117 Earnings Map For The Week.vtp (356KB - 201 downloads)
Attached file : 110114 Market Overview.JPG (116KB - 228 downloads)
Attached file : 110114 earnings stks 5d 15m microcharts.JPG (85KB - 214 downloads)
Attached file : 110114 Earnings stks 1d % chng.JPG (102KB - 217 downloads)
Attached file : 110114 earnings stks 1d 5m microcharts.JPG (84KB - 207 downloads)
Attached file : 110113 Earnings stks 1d % chng.JPG (117KB - 202 downloads)
Attached file : 110113 Earnings stks 1d % chng.JPG (117KB - 220 downloads)
Attached file : 110113 Market Overview.JPG (121KB - 237 downloads)
Attached file : 110111 1d 5m microcharts.JPG (88KB - 202 downloads)
Attached file : 110111 1d % chng earnings stks for week.JPG (105KB - 225 downloads)
Attached file : 110111 Market Overview.JPG (124KB - 238 downloads)
Attached file : 110110 Earnings stks 1d % chng sort.JPG (96KB - 238 downloads)
Attached file : 110110 1d 5m microcharts all earnings stks.JPG (88KB - 207 downloads)

^ Top
jmishlove

Veteran

User Profile

Posted : 1/15/2011 12:47 PM
Post #5725 - In reply to #5724

Thanks, Jim, for your ongoing posts to this forum. I try to monitor them as best I can. Clearly, these posts will be useful to Visual Trader users for a long time in the future. So, you are doing a service to the entire VT community here.

As for myself, I am still primarily focusing on the TF emini contract. And, to be honest, my progress is much slower than I had hoped. Every time I feel like I am moving forward, I discover how much I have yet to learn. But, I am maintaining my focus.

I guess you could say that I am following the advice of one trading coach (from a video link you once posted as I recall) who said that the best way to learn to day-trade is to make as many mistakes as possible, as fast as possible, so as to learn from them.

As a result of that, ironically, I have moved away from Visual Trader completely. The reason, in simple terms, is that OmniData is no longer providing NYBOT (or ICE) data on TF and RUT. They dropped it in 2011, due to increased costs from ICE for this data. And, at the same time, almost all the real-time data I require is provided for free from my broker, Interactive Brokers.

Since, I am still primarily paper-trading, I am working with the free data from IB as well as their trading platform, TraderWorkstation. And, I've hooked up with a commmunity (Hamzei Analytics) that maintains a chatroom with a strong emphasis on the TF contract.

So, that is my major focus. However, I remain mindful of the approach you have so generously been posting about here on this forum. And, I imagine that -- once I have a better handle on trading the TF contract, I will be able to come back to the Earnings Map with increased skills. (Or, in the event I should eventually decide that I cannot trade the emini, coming back to this approach will be my first alternative.)

Jeff
^ Top
jmishlove

Veteran

User Profile

Posted : 1/17/2011 2:35 PM
Post #5728 - In reply to #5725

Jim,

After posting the previous message, I discovered that I am still receiving real-time stock data for Visual Trader until the end of January. So, I have made a decision to use this time period to focus intensely on the Earnings Maps that you have been so graciously providing.

Jeff

^ Top
jmishlove

Veteran

User Profile

Posted : 1/21/2011 9:10 AM
Post #5732 - In reply to #5728

I think I'm starting to catch on a bit more to stock trading, using the Earnings Map. This morning, I noticed the premarket run-up in FFIV. After the initial drop, I bought (paper-trading) at 110.95 and was able to sell at 112.27 just 15 minutes later. (Although, I see I could have held the position longer.)

Jeff

[Edited by jmishlove on 1/21/2011 9:19 AM]

Attached file : 110121 FFIV.PNG (39KB - 400 downloads)

^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 1/22/2011 11:47 AM
Post #5734 - In reply to #5728

Jeff,

Attached is the earnings map for next week. It has 362 symbols made up of stocks that met Group criteria, and others that met the SUB criteria.

Enjoy your week of paper trading the map, and related testing. In one of your test, you may want to try just including the stocks for which earnings announcement might impact that day of trading. For example, on Tuesday look at only those Monday plates that had announcements after market close, and Tuesday plates that had announcements before market open. After testing this stock universe, you may want to further reduce it by eliminating the SUB plates for these two time periods. Working with a smaller subset of the map is just an interim approach until you get comfortable with larger maps/lists. It does not take many of these stocks to yield decent profits.

As you know, we supplement the map with stocks that are showing a gap in price during the pre market. But for now you may want to ignore these stocks.

Again, enjoy your week of trading, and testing, the earnings map using your RT data feed.

Regards,

Jim B.

Attached file : 110124 Earnings Map For The Week.vtp (604KB - 210 downloads)

^ Top
jmishlove

Veteran

User Profile

Posted : 1/22/2011 12:36 PM
Post #5735 - In reply to #5734

Thanks, Jim, for this ongoing support and encouragement. (And, you're right. At this stage in my evolution as a day-trader, it will be easier for me if I narrow my stock universe down as much as realistically possible.) I'm looking forward to working with the Earnings Map again next week.

That's my last week of data feed for Visual Trader. But, if it goes well, I can always extend my data subscription.

I do notice that these stocks tend to trend more smoothly than the TF futures contract that I find so fascinating.

Jeff
^ Top
jimb

Elite

User Profile

Posted : 1/29/2011 11:10 PM
Post #5750 - In reply to #5735

Attached is the earnings map for next week. It has slightly more than 200 stocks that met the Group criteria.

Hope it proves of use.

Regards,

Jim B.
Attached file : 110131 Earnings Map For The Week - Gp criteria only.vtp (504KB - 201 downloads)

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
back reply

Legend    Action      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
E-Mail this thread to a friend
(un)/Freeze thread |
Toggle e-mail notification

Nirvana Systems
For any problems or issues please contact our Webmaster at webmaster@nirvsys.com.