VisualTrader Forum VisualTrader Forum
forums calendars search
today this week

register logon control panel Forum Rules
You are currently browsing as a guest.
You should logon to access more features
A Self-Moderated Community - ALL MEMBERS, PLEASE READ!
Vote for Members who contribute the most to your trading, and help us moderate content within the Forums.

Current location        Thread information  
VisualTrader Forums
New User Orientation
Trading w/o strats or systems
Last Activity 8/5/2019 5:24 PM
2 replies, 168 viewings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

back reply
Printer friendly version

^ Top
John J

Regular

User Profile

Subject : Trading w/o strats or systems
Posted : 8/5/2019 12:25 PM
Post #13332

Another selloff in the market today, and as we all know it's been rather choppy ever since the beginning of January last year. A lot of RTM strats have been chopped to pieces in this time period as well as other strats, which only seem to work if the market is trending (i.e buy on dips under the assumption that the market will resume trending)...

So, I wanted to see if profits can be made by using the Above/Below sorts in the opportunity list only, with back test from 1/1/2018 to 8/1/2019 (see screenshot for starting population and criteria rules). The Trade Equalizer was used to manage the trades (see screenshot) with only two market states. I used the Impulse indicator found in Alexander Elder's books to determine market conditions (i.e. long trades should be avoided if the indicator is short and vice versa for short trades). Trade Throttle directions are set to 3:1 for Trend Up, and 1:3 for Trend Down (see screenshot for other settings). Best results achieved with the Volatility Breakouts Transform.

The equity curve is far from smooth, but pretty good considering that no strats or systems were involved here. Feel free to tweak the settings and the market condition criteria, and post your results in this thread... =)

P.S. The attached market conditions need to be placed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Nirvana\VisualTrader 11.0\VBA\OmniFunds

[Edited by John J on 8/5/2019 2:40 PM]

Attached file : Capture1.JPG (106KB - 145 downloads)
Attached file : Capture2.JPG (84KB - 134 downloads)
Attached file : Capture3.JPG (99KB - 144 downloads)
Attached file : ImpulseNotUp.txt (0KB - 11 downloads)
Attached file : ImpulseNotDown.txt (0KB - 11 downloads)

^ Top
THELGET

Elite

User Profile

Subject : RE: Trading w/o strats or systems
Posted : 8/5/2019 4:47 PM
Post #13333 - In reply to #13332

John J:

Not bad at all considering the low Maximum Drawdown percent and the fact that you were never in negative territory with your capital. I am sure this is much better than many trader's returns.

Tom Helget
^ Top
John J

Regular

User Profile

Subject : RE: Trading w/o strats or systems
Posted : 8/5/2019 5:24 PM
Post #13334 - In reply to #13332

Thanks for chiming in Tom,

I have yet to find any Market/Symbol filter or anything else that will improve ROI. You may improve the hit rate somewhat, but due to the reduced number of trades taken, the overall ROI will suffer...sometimes by a lot. But like I said previously, I hope others try to improve on it..!

Something that N needs to change is the functionality of the 'Close trades at Switching Interval'. In the current configuration, all open positions are being closed when the Market State changes. If the Market State changes from Long to Short for instance, one should be able to choose whether to close all open positions, or close long positions only and leave short ones open....

[Edited by John J on 8/5/2019 5:31 PM]

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
back reply

Legend    Action      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
E-Mail this thread to a friend
(un)/Freeze thread |
Toggle e-mail notification

Nirvana Systems
For any problems or issues please contact our Webmaster at webmaster@nirvsys.com.