VisualTrader Forum VisualTrader Forum
forums calendars search
today this week

register logon control panel Forum Rules
You are currently browsing as a guest.
You should logon to access more features
A Self-Moderated Community - ALL MEMBERS, PLEASE READ!
Vote for Members who contribute the most to your trading, and help us moderate content within the Forums.

Current location        Thread information  
VisualTrader Forums
New User Orientation
Question for Metastock data users
Last Activity 4/19/2019 4:13 PM
7 replies, 3801 viewings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

back reply
Printer friendly version

^ Top
Lawrence

New User

User Profile

Subject : Question for Metastock data users
Posted : 9/5/2003 7:04 PM
Post #630

Hello any users at there that get their data from Metastock files.

I understand from tech support that you have to build your stock lists by hand (meaning adding stocks one by one) if you are using Metastock data.

I find this hard to beleive that anyone would actually do this. (To build the S&P 500 you would have to add and categorize 500 stocks youself.)

Is this true? I would be interested in finding out what people that are using Metastock data are actually doing (I guess returning the product?).

Thanks in advance.

lawrence
^ Top
Rayner

New User

User Profile

Subject : RE: Question for Metastock data users
Posted : 1/13/2005 6:18 PM
Post #854 - In reply to #630

I am a new user of VT3.0 using metastock data, thought its might be good to share my experience.

Currently adapting a external data provider : ML DownLoader (website : www.trading-tools.com , US$82.53 which is relatively cheap, one time payment, life-time support, etc). You can use their built-in indexes and groups into VT3.0 easily.

You can also convert your prefer list of stock using one of the template available to create your own groups, if you wish.

Hope this will help to solve any metastock users on VT.

Ray
^ Top
Kiwihiker

New User

User Profile

Posted : 8/31/2008 9:20 PM
Post #3045 - In reply to #630

Hi - new to VT (have ver4), and based in Australia. using metastock-formatted data. I've created customised folders from my provider for the industry groups on the ASX 200 (the 200 largest or highest volume large and medium-cap companies listed on the Aussie equities exchange).

Just wanting to confirm - I will need to manually create groups and move the symbols into each group, and then manually adjust the symbols assigned to groups as the ASX indicies change (syumbols move in and out as market caps/trading olumes change for companies over time)?
^ Top
Barry Cohen

Icon

User Profile

Posted : 9/2/2008 9:42 AM
Post #3056 - In reply to #3045

Yes. Currently all VT lists are static regardless if you're using OmniData, Metastock, eSignal, etc.

Since you're creating your own groups I would recommend saving your list when you're finished creating it...

You are able to add your own saved lists under Edit -> Symbol List when Nirvana is selected there.

This lets you save groups/plates that can be accessed in other maps.

To create your own import list create a map as normal first. Once you've finished creating your groups & assigning symbols to each group close VT.

Browse to the C:\Program Files\Nirvana\VisualTrader 4.0\Profiles folder. Right-click & Copy the map you just created.

Browse to the C:\Program Files\Nirvana\VisualTrader 4.0\Lists folder. Right-click the country folder you want the list to appear under & select Paste.

^ Top
Ernest

User Profile

Posted : 9/14/2008 2:29 PM
Post #3107 - In reply to #630

Hi Lawrence, there is no need to feed the Metastock data symbol by symbol, I just added the S&P 500 and it was just one click. (almost...).

Actually I am quite new to VT, I just received my package on the mail yesterday and started just today. I joined the forum looking for someone having issues with Metastock data and have found only you. The process is a bit " cumbersome" and not very intuitive however there is no need to do it manually. Once I get more "fluid" on doing what I did I will be able to tell you. In the mean time I will keep "trying" to add my Metastock "Grouped by Sector" folder at once.

Best regards.
^ Top
barryc48

User Profile

Posted : 11/26/2008 6:24 PM
Post #3218 - In reply to #3045

Hi
I have some australian files
I am at barryc48@optusnet.com.au
barryc48 on skype its good for transfering files
bazz
^ Top
Vinay

User Profile

Posted : 6/26/2013 3:45 AM
Post #7409 - In reply to #3056

Originally written by 291234 on 9/2/2008 8:42 PM

Yes. Currently all VT lists are static regardless if you're using OmniData, Metastock, eSignal, etc.

Since you're creating your own groups I would recommend saving your list when you're finished creating it...

You are able to add your own saved lists under Edit -> Symbol List when Nirvana is selected there.

This lets you save groups/plates that can be accessed in other maps.

To create your own import list create a map as normal first. Once you've finished creating your groups & assigning symbols to each group close VT.

Browse to the C:\Program Files\Nirvana\VisualTrader 4.0\Profiles folder. Right-click & Copy the map you just created.

Browse to the C:\Program Files\Nirvana\VisualTrader 4.0\Lists folder. Right-click the country folder you want the list to appear under & select Paste.

Barry, my country (India) is not listed in the Lists folder, so I created a folder "IN" under lists and put my custom profile (.vtp file) there while still running VT and it worked as you suggested. I am using eSignal RT Datafeed.

However when I restart VT I get the following error messages:

It appears that VT expects to find "Symbols32.vtd" file at that location which simply is not there, since I just copied profile (.vtp) file there. The error goes away if I copy a "Symbols32.vtd" file from some other symbol database folder which contains database of some other country.

[Edited by Vinay on 6/26/2013 3:57 AM]

Attached file : List Error 1.jpg (26KB - 507 downloads)
Attached file : List Error 2.jpg (24KB - 499 downloads)
Attached file : List Error 3.jpg (24KB - 284 downloads)

^ Top
barryc48

User Profile

Posted : 6/26/2013 3:57 AM
Post #7410 - In reply to #630

I have made a request to add user data at the symbol list area, so that anyone using metastock data symbol list it will automatically poulate a map
The more people that request the better so that this hopless situation where every symbol has to put in manually can be rectified
BAzz
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
back reply

Legend    Action      Notification  
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Unregistered User
E-Mail this thread to a friend
(un)/Freeze thread |
Toggle e-mail notification

Nirvana Systems
For any problems or issues please contact our Webmaster at webmaster@nirvsys.com.