"Risk Meter" in OF web app

^ Top
Jayhawk

User Profile

Subject : "Risk Meter" in OF web app
Posted : 8/29/2018 9:48 AM
Post #13270

Barry,

I would appreciate it if you could help me better understand the "Risk Meter" in the OmniFunds web app. I've watched Jeff's Tutorial and he says that the Risk Meter is used to allocate more or less money to the Portfolios based on the Risk Meter setting.

I have tried to adjust the Risk Meter settings and they don't seem to "stick." I want to be able to adjust the settings between tiles based on overall market state. Where do I need to do to properly adjust the setting and get it to SAVE and hold?

Secondly, one would think that OF, using Dynamic Market States could dynamically adjust this setting. I don't mind so much doing it manually, but I was wondering if this is something that is done in the program (and I've missed it) or is this something you are thinking about adding in the feature?

Thanks for your time,

Wynn
^ Top
Jim Dean

User Profile

Subject : RE: "Risk Meter" in OF web app
Posted : 8/29/2018 10:36 AM
Post #13271 - In reply to #13270

I applaud the idea of making the Risk Meter a dynamic setting as a function of market state. The state shout be determined in the background (KISS), but should be intelligently based on a composite average of all the symbols being used in that particular OF method (*not* on an arbitrary symbol such as SPY which may not correlate well with the OF symbols being traded)

This makes the use of OmniFunds even more simple - the existing “Risk” input becomes an *output* (could even be plotted) - fewer decisions by the user!
^ Top
Jayhawk

User Profile

Subject : RE: "Risk Meter" in OF web app
Posted : 8/29/2018 11:15 AM
Post #13272 - In reply to #13270

Jim,

Thanks for your comments and support for the idea. My thinking was more along the lines of overall market trend. I rely on Vecter Vest for market timing. I've been a client of their's for over 10 years and have found their market timing signals to be quite reliable. I've been working on a table to correlate the Risk Meter's nine tiles to the V V signals that I have found most reliable over the years. It's pretty simple and I can understand it. I like the KISS principle, too. I just need to better understand how to use the Risk Meter and how to best apply it to my work.

All the best to another KC boy.

Wynn

https://www.visualtrader.com/visualtrader/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=5680&posts=3